One of the most prevalent Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and a major contributor to cervical cancer is the human papillomavirus (HPV).
Cervical cancer is the second most prevalent cancer among women in Nigeria, and its prevention depends heavily on early detection.
How do I prevent Cervical Cancer?
Regular testing is one of the best methods to detect HPV early, and using an at-home HPV self-test kit is a practical and discreet way to achieve this.
A cheap and convenient test called an HPV self-test kit enables people to take a cervix sample at home and submit it to a lab for examination. The individual is then provided with the findings, often within a few days or weeks.
What makes this kit a great option?
These kits provide the comfort and discretion that many women require to take charge of their sexual health.
The privacy that an HPV self-test kit provides is one of its main benefits. You may use these kits to test for HPV without telling anybody about your sexual history or STI status. This can be crucial for people who might be reluctant to talk to a doctor about their sexual health or who might not have easy access to STI testing facilities.
Another advantage of HPV self-test kits is the convenience they offer. These kits can be ordered online or over the phone, and they can be done at a time that is convenient for you. You can even do the test while you're at home, without having to take time off work or miss other important commitments.
So, where can you get an HPV self-test kit in Nigeria?
Many of these kits are available to order online, and it's important to ensure that you are ordering from a reputable source. Some healthcare providers may also offer the test in their clinics.
You can also get it from our store, www.healthtracka.com
The cost of an HPV self-test kit can vary depending on the brand and location. It is important to check with the provider for the cost of the kit and any additional fees.
How do I use the kit?
To use the kit, the individual will be provided with the instructions, which should be read and followed carefully.
They include points on:
- Handling the self-test kit
- Using the kit somewhere private
- Using the self-test kit to collect samples from your cervix.
- Packaging and sending it to the testing lab
The kit will contain a sample collection device, which will be used to collect a sample from the cervix. The sample will then be placed in the provided packaging and sent to the lab for analysis.
Apart from the test, what other ways can I get to prevent myself from going down with Cervical cancer?
Apart from doing the test, here are a few ways to guard yourself against Cervical Cancer;
Have conversations with your doctor about the HPV vaccine. This vaccine helps you reduce your chances of going down with cervical cancer and other cancers related to the human papillomavirus.
Ensure you practice safe sex. People who contract STDs are more likely to develop cervical cancer. So when you have to get down low next, ensure you or your partner use a condom. Also, reduce the number of people you let have sex with you.
Lay off smoking. Medical professional's advice: if you do not smoke, do not start; if you do smoke, make proactive efforts to quit as fast as you can.
What are the other ways that can cause one to develop cervical cancer?
- Long-term use of the birth control pill can also cause complications that can lead to the growth of cancerous cells in the cervix. That is a sure sign of trouble so women should tone down on those.
- Three or more full-term pregnancies could cause massive estrogen and progesterone levels in women causing massive hormonal changes. These can degenerate into cancerous cells in the cervix.
- Low spending power (which makes you less likely to be screened regularly) is one of the major causes of the scourge. People cannot afford food, not to mention spending money on cervical cancer screening, so they unwillingly set themselves up for cancer.
- Weakened immune system. People with weakened immune systems like those infected with HIV/AIDS, sickle cell anemia, and the like are also most likely to develop cancerous cells in their cervix. Their bodies are too weak to fight causal agents during the onset and open the gates to the disease to ravage them.
- A first pregnancy before age 17 can also be the cause of cervical cancer as an adolescent has an immature cervix and if she gets pregnant, may not have the natural ability to fight off cancer-related infections as a matured one would.
- Being exposed to sexual intercourse at an early stage is also a cause for similar reasons to early pregnancy
Words to note
It's important to note that an HPV self-test kit is not a replacement for regular cervical cancer screenings. These kits are designed to detect HPV, but they cannot detect cervical cancer or other STIs. If an HPV self-test kit indicates the presence of HPV, it's important to follow up with a healthcare provider for further testing and treatment.
HPV self-test kit is a convenient and private way for Nigerian women to take control of their sexual health and detect HPV early. These kits can be ordered online or through healthcare providers, and the cost can vary. However, it is important to note that an HPV self-test kit is not a replacement for regular cervical cancer screenings. If the test is positive, it's important to follow up with a healthcare provider for further testing and treatment
- Cancer.org, risk factors for cervical cancer, https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.cancer.org/cancer/cervical-cancer/causes-risks-prevention/risk-factors.html&ved=2ahUKEwjV7JKgitj8AhVTe8AKHcTzBCoQFnoECA8QBQ&usg=AOvVaw1xpZyAN_yff0jzRqlgYAIt
- British journal of cancer, Early age at first sexual intercourse and early pregnancy are risk factors for cervical cancer in developing countries, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2670004/
- WebMD, What Is Cervical Cancer and Can I Prevent It?https://www.webmd.com/cancer/cervical-cancer/understanding-cervical-cancer-prevention